Osgood Building Wins 2018 Maine Preservation Honor Award
November 9, 2018
On November 7th, the Osgood Building was recognized by Maine
Preservation at the organization’s annual award ceremony.
The Osgood Building is a commercial block located in downtown
Lewiston, Maine. The building was constructed in 1893 and designed
by the local architecture firm of J. Coburn and Sons and built by local
contractor E.R. Desjardins. It was built for H.A. Osgood, a jeweler with a
long-established business at this site. Imported English White Glazed
bricks were used in the construction of the building. No other examples
of the use of such brick is known in Maine.
After the jewelry store, the building has served as the headquarters for
Berman and Simmons’ for more than 100 years. The firm was built on
the idea of a being a resource to mill workers and the firm was committed to stay in the building but wanted to modernize the space to better accommodate their client base while at the same time acknowledging the history of the building. The renovation of the Osgood Building enables the law firm to stay in their historic location while utilizing the building for face-to-face meetings with clients.
This successful project took a building in downtown Lewiston and made it fully useable and up-to-date, while also saving important aspects of its history. All this while helping to revitalize Downtown Lewiston. Epsilon was pleased to provide historic tax credit support for this project helping to secure money to enable the project to move forward.