Epsilon Associates, a strategic environmental permitting, consulting and engineering firm based in Maynard, Massachusetts, is seeking a Staff-Level Engineer or Scientist to join our air quality group.
Epsilon is one of the best known and most respected environmental consulting firms in the Northeast. Epsilon’s client base includes major commercial real estate, institutional, energy, and residential developers, as well as public agencies. As a mid-sized firm, we are large enough to support our team members professionally and personally, and small enough to keep our focus on project successes and client satisfaction. Epsilon is privately held by its Principals, who are experts in their fields and work side-by-side with staff of all levels on complex, high-profile projects.
Epsilon offers the opportunity to participate in a range of challenging, high-profile projects, helping our clients make innovative and forward-thinking improvements to the built environment.
A recipient of a Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce Award for Business Excellence, Epsilon has also been recognized twice as one of the Boston Business Journal’s Fifty Best Places to Work. For additional information on the firm, visit www.epsilonassociates.com.
As a Staff Engineer/Scientist, the successful candidate will support Epsilon’s air quality and environmental engineering practice, working on various environmental consulting tasks, including:
- Dispersion modeling, using AERMOD and other models as appropriate, to support permitting of new and modified commercial, industrial, and energy projects;
- Analysis of transportation air emissions using the MOVES3 motor vehicle emissions simulator and other models as appropriate;
- Analyzing baseline public health data, comparing public health conditions to baseline, identifying metrics and factors that could suggest a disproportionate burden on Environmental Justice communities, and working with Epsilon senior staff to identify mitigation measures;
- Technical report drafting and revisions, performing air emissions and related calculations, data processing, preparing standard reports and forms, and performing occasional field work including overnight travel; and
- Working with Epsilon’s team to provide seamless air quality regulatory permitting and compliance consulting.
Projects may include new onshore and offshore wind facilities, new and existing power plants and industrial facilities, and commercial real estate developments. Epsilon will provide task-specific training, including training using AERMOD with the Lakes Environmental GUI. The Staff Engineer/Scientist will be expected to grow into client interaction, task management, project management, public outreach, and business development roles.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- 0-5 years of experience in a consulting environment;
- One or more degrees in Engineering, Meteorology, Toxicology, Atmospheric Sciences, or a relevant Physical Science;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills (technical writing minor, relevant coursework, or thesis/dissertation preferred);
- Skilled with Microsoft Office suite, and ability to learn other computer programs as needed;
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, time management, and ability to manage competing tasks and deadlines; and
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a multidisciplinary project team.
- Prior experience is beneficial in the following areas: use of AERMOD; analysis of public health data; air application preparation; regulatory applicability review; and MEPA/NEPA. Experience consulting for the energy industry, wind industry, materials handling business, and commercial real estate business is a plus. An understanding of Federal and various states' air quality regulations and policies, with an awareness of how these will affect customers, is also beneficial.
- In addition to the Preferred Qualifications, the Candidate must have a valid driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle for business travel, including proper insurance and registration and have all necessary paperwork to work in the USA.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE JOB
The Candidate must:
- work on a computer for extended periods of time;
- be able to travel via plane or car, for an extended period of time.
WORKING CONDITIONS IN WHICH THE DUTIES ARE PERFORMED
Epsilon maintains a professional office located in a historic mill in Maynard, MA. Office space is recently renovated, clean, quiet, and friendly. At this time, due to COVID, the office is open on a limited basis. Company employees are currently working remotely, which is well supported by company technology and infrastructure.
Our team members enjoy regular opportunities for professional growth, a relaxed and flexible work environment, a competitive base salary, a 401k plan with a generous company match, profit sharing, an annual performance bonus program, and a full benefits package.
Epsilon is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes the value of a diverse workforce. We ensure a workplace that support and encourages creativity, professional growth and a company culture that promotes diversity, inclusion and overall employee health and well-being. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or protected veteran status in accordance with governing laws.
Please send your letter of interest and resume to
Ms. Karen Roth
Epsilon Associates, Inc.
3 Mill & Main Place, Suite 250
Maynard, MA 01754
(or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org)
No phone calls please.
Epsilon Associates, Inc. is an EEO/AA/Disability/Vets Employer
Applicants must have all necessary paperwork to work in the USA.